TWRUFC U15s travelled to old rivals SAS (Sheppey and Sittingbourne) on Sunday 3rd November 2019.

They were met with surprising conditions in the fact that the sun did actually shine on Sheppey! For the first time ever in memory, the fixture was played in glorious sunshine although conditions underfoot were wet and muddy leading to a lot of loose ball!

TWRUFC received the kick playing up the hill in the first half and utilising the new half game rule it was decided that the Development players would start including Big T who was making only his second appearance in a TWRUFC shirt.

The first 5 minutes were a scrappy affair with both sides getting used to the wet ball. TWRUFC then started to gain forward dominance and some good strong runs from Sam M and Big T led to Charlie W picking and going from a ruck five yards out from the try line and crashing over for the first score after six minutes. This was well converted by fly-half Harrison Q.

The game then went stale for a while with both sides cancelling out each other’s attacks with some good strong defence, before No 8 Sam M scored the first of two tries before half time with good pick up and go’s from the scrum, one of which was converted by Harrison Q.

Thanet lost Luke D to injury before half time and some reorganising in the back line took place before another injury occurred which resulted in Owen J playing on with what transpired to be a dislocated arm! Thanet lead 19 – nil at the break.

Both sides made changes at half time with some more A team players being put on the pitch. TWRUFC then failed to take advantage of the downhill half spilling lots of potential good ball before after 12 minutes Josh P set off on one of his strong quick runs beating several defenders to sprint clear to the corner. Unfortunately, Harrison was unable to convert the try.

Five minutes later SAS took advantage of a lapse in the otherwise good TWRUFC defence to crash over under the posts after a quickly taken penalty. The score was now 24 to 7 to TWRUFC. Thanet then reaped the rewards of some SAS transgressions including a last-minute yellow card for an off the ball shove on the TWRUFC scrum-half.

In the last minute Johnny R took a quick penalty deep inside his own half and went off on a storming run leaving a trail of SAS defenders in his wake as he ran three quarters of the length of the pitch to score under the posts for a final try which was again well converted by Harrison Q, leaving the match score 31-7 in Thanet’s favour.

Johnny R was subsequently named “player of the match” for his outstanding run and try, although mention must go to Big T for some good strong runs in only his second game and to the back row trio of Sam M, Flynn S and Frankie E who together are becoming a great attacking and defensive unit. Max R and James P made some good strong runs in the centres, however, their final pass often went astray. The front row of Charlie W, Tom K and Rhys scrummaged well against a much bigger SAS pack.

SQUAD: Charlie W, Rhys T, Tom K, Dennis D, Timarlie S, Sam M, Flynn S, Frankie E, Owen J, Harrison Q, Max R, James P (C), Josh O’D, Josh P, Luke D, Ben B, Joe S, Farzaam Y, Johnny R, Josh J

Jason Deacon.