- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 110g unsalted butter (cubed)
- 175g light muscavado sugar
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 large egg white (For the Icing)
- 175g icing sugar (For the icing)
- Non-stick paper
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Rolling pin & flat surface
- Gingerbread man cutter
- 2 baking trays
- Piping bag
- Wire cooling rack
1. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a mixing bowl.
2. Put the cubes of butter into the mixture and use your fingers to rub the butter in until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Add the sugar and mix in.
4. Make a well in the centre, stir in the egg and golden syrup and mix with a wooden spoon to make a soft, smooth dough.
5. Preheat the oven to 190C. Sprinkle flour over the flat work surface and knead the dough.
6. Use the rolling pin to roll the dough out to 5mm.
7. Stamp the gingerbread cutter! Transfer the gingerbread men to the (greaseproof papered) trays.
8. Re-roll the rest of the dough and cut out more shapes.
9. Bake on the top and middle shelves for 5-6minutes.
10. Swap the trays and bake for another 5-6minutes.
11. Once a medium brown colour, remove trays from oven and leave to stand for a few minutes.
12. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing… lightly whisk the egg white in a mixing bowl and gradually sift the icing sugar over the egg white and fold in. It is ready when the mixture is like toothpaste.
- For fun, you could add food colouring to the mixture.
- Spoon into a piping bag and decorate your gingerbread men!
We’d just like to say “Thank you” to George from CBBC for his handy
tutorial showing how to make Gingerbread – just in case our recipe is a bit complicated.
For food hygiene reasons, you must remember to wash your hands before touching any food and ask for help when using the oven. It is always better to stay safe!