Thanet Secondary Cross Country Competition 2017
Effort, determination and ability are three of the key ingredients to succeed in sport and all were displayed in abundance at the Thanet Secondary School Cross Country Championships this week.
The annual event, hosted by Dane Court Grammar School, was well supported and featured a plethora of running talent. The twisting and undulating course posed a few energy-sapping problems for the competitors, but they all dug in deep and prevailed.
The event was a resounding success and all those present seemed to enjoy the atmosphere. Even the weather proved favourable for the runners and spectators.
The races were split into year groups and runners were awarded points for their school as they crossed the finish line.
Individual winners in respective year groups were as follows …..
- Year 7 Girls – Lola Sutton, Ursuline College
- Year 7 Boys – Louie Procopi, Dane Court Grammar
- Year 8 Girls – Milly Roe, St Georges
- Year 8 Boys – Dylan Leach, Chatham & Clarendon GS
- Year 9 Girls – Katie Macrae, Dane Court Grammar
- Year 9 Boys – Haydon Gaffon, Chatham & Clarendon GS
- Year 10 Girls – Brooke O’Hare, St Lawrence College
- Year 10 Boys – Mowgli Palmer, Chatham & Clarendon GS
- Year 11 Girls – Beth Williams, St Lawrence College
- Year 11 Boys – Cameron Macrae – Dane Court Grammar
Although there is a tendency to celebrate the winners, I was really impressed with the attitude and efforts of all the runners competing in the event. They were a credit to their respective schools.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Stephanie Howard, the Thanet School Games Organiser, and the staff at Dane Court Grammar School for inviting me along to this fantastic event.